Using technology to enhance workflow fundamentals
The construction industry has been ripe for a significant technology shift for quite some time. Although it has been widely cited that construction is one of the least digitized industries, perhaps more alarming is the lack of clear technology direction that most contractors experience. Many firms struggle with the plethora of digital options as well as finding a viable solution for organizing
Due to the current outbreak of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and following the World Health Organization and local Governmental guidance, the Leica Geosystems Certified Pre-Owned, part of Hexagon, wants to share with its customers which measures are taken to avoid contamination and ensure business continuity.
We are a global technology company, well prepared to work collaboratively across the world on a daily basis from remote locations. We will continue to support you in your initiatives to drive productivity, safety and sustainability.
Hexagon’s local leadership teams are agile and well prepared to act on all guidance to ensure minimal disruption to the business.
Photo by Claudio S
The CPE not only offers a great selection of the most common used surveying equipment but also machinery accessories to complete your second-hand surveying equipment. These accessories will help you to reduce downtime and maximise efficiency during onsite tasks.
You can buy one item or along with another used surveying equipment kit available on our website.
The CPE suggests the following combinations depending on the product:
- We offer GFU17 and GFU24 housing with Siemens MC75 GSM/GPRS Module (Quad-Band GSM 850/900/1800/ 1900 MHz), fits on side of GX1200 Receiver or GHT56 for the SmartRover.
- SLG1 provides full flexibility to Leica GS15 due to 5-band technology, supports all GSM, GPRS, EDGE and UMTS
According to recent studies, the second-hand industry had in 2019 $20bn in revenue in the US and £3bn in the UK.
It is clear that the acquisition of used products is a rising trend, but what advantages does offer buying reconditioned surveying equipment?
- Cost-effective products. Without a doubt, it is the most remarkable benefit of this type of operations. It allows you to save and obtain the same results than a new surveying instrument.
- If you have not work with a surveying kit, the surveyor can start with a preowned one to experiment and learn. Once the customer knows how it works, he or she can recognize which are his/her needs and the accuracy required to perform the tasks and opt for a newer if obligated.
- Latest technology may not be necessary. Depending on the project, choosing reconditioned equipment is the better option in order to achieve the best execution.
- While reusing
How to choose the used station you need?
In our latest blog post we defined what is a total station and the different tasks that can be performed with them. Now we want to explain which factors should be considered when you want to buy a total station.
What do you need to know before buying a used total station?
Before making any decision, we recommend you to think about the aspects that may condition the purchase of one instrument or another:
- Type of project or task: what are you going to use your used topographic instrument for? Are you clear about the precision you need? Do you know what type of software you need?
After, will you always perform the same tasks or do your projects vary? Could you predict the equipment’s useful life and know when it will be amortized?
A total station is a theodolite with an integrated distance meter that can measure angles and distances simultaneously.
- What is the difference between theodolite and total station?
Theodolites measure horizontal and vertical angles only. Sometimes they are called tachymeters because we can calculate distances using geometric - trigonometric calculations by angular measurement through a graduated sight. A theodolite can be mechanical or electronic. A total station can measure angles and distances electronically and process trigonometrically to give us, at a minimum, position coordinates in space.
Nowadays, all electronic total stations have an electronic optical distance meter (EDM) and an electronic angle meter, so that the bar codes of the horizontal and vertical circle scales can be read, displaying the angles and distances values digitally. The horizontal
Last September marked the 5th anniversary of the Used Equipment Centre now the Certified Pre-Owned Equipment Centre. The UEC was established in 2.014 in Barcelona with the aim of giving a second life to Leica Geosystems surveying instruments. Initially, we started as a small company of 6 employees and after several years of hard work, we are 12, including sale dealers, operational, technical service, marketing and accounting.
During these 5 years, we have inspected 9.000 used surveying instruments and sold them in 110 countries approximately. We are environmentally conscious and we are contributing to a greener planet by recycling every scrapped material we produce, specifically 1.500kg.
Since 2019, along with our colleagues in Cambridge,
Leica Geosystems scanner lasers allow you to obtain the three-dimensional geometry of objects or locations quickly and safely, getting graphical and analytical data that allow you to document and collect measurements for all types of projects.
The results are clouds of precise points with the complete geometry of structures and objects. The conversion of these points into 3D or 2D models or the comparison with the original project is done with specific programs:
Leica Geosystems surveying tools are designed to work under any weather conditions and still obtaining the bests results. However, you can still make your equipment last longer by doing some routine actions.
What damages your equipment?
Even though outdoor projects are riskier than indoors we can keep away hazards that can compromise your instrument in both situations:
- While you are transporting your equipment use the official carry box provided. External damages such as scratches or hits can be avoided.
- Anchor: before starting your measuring tasks, check the instrument’s clamp to its tribrach and tripod.
- After using your equipment for a while components may worn out, if you want to know weather your equipment is performing correctly we suggest you take it for a maintenance check-up yearly to Leica’s technical service or to any authorised official dealer.
As we mentioned before, surveying equipment tha
We are proud to share with you some positive experiences with our clients. Today, we introduce Albert Salvadó, a Leica Geosystems client for more than 10 years. He is an Agricultural Technical Engineer and he is been working in surveying for 36 years both as a sales advisor and surveyor. He is Managing Director of GP7 whose activity is related to engineering and the environment.
Albert has worked on several remarkable projects such as the 3rd landing track at Barcelona’s airport, high Speed train adequacy at Sants station (Barcelona’s main station), building projects with international companies like ACS, Dragados, ISOLUX or FADESA as well as Santa Isabel’s school in Barcelona and client projects.
How’s been your experience with CPE?
They are customer focused. I have been alw